Monday, February 15, 2010

Copyright

In class on Thursday we had Jason Hardin come to speak to us about copyright issues. I found his presentation very informative and helpful. I think that the Fair Use Policy in the special case of education was very interesting. I was not aware how much information is unavailable because of this policy. It is a shame that certain things cannot be used for educational purposes if money is involved. I think the owner of the copyright should be more concerned about educating the nation rather than only looking for the money involved. I think that the only valid points in this policy are the intended purpose of the reproduction and the amount that is being reproduced. If someone’s purpose is obviously not educational, then they should be punished for reproducing someone else’s work. Also, if someone is reproducing an excessive amount of copyrighted work, then they are doing something wrong. However, if something is reproduced a few times for an educational purpose only, I don’t think money should be such a big issue. I think the Fair Use Policy is important, but I think they should loosen up the factors involving money.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment